Monday 11 February 2013

What's the point?


In my job as an Exercise Physiologist, I frequently work with cancer patients. Over the years they have repeatedly told me how daunting the concept of exercising or being active is after a cancer diagnosis, and indeed, how difficult it can be to regain some control of an exercise regime afterwards.
Should you exercise at all, especially when undergoing treatments? If it's ok, how much? Is it safe? Will it help? And then after treatment, can I get back to my old levels of exercise? What about my body’s changes, like scarring or surgeries?
Well, like all things, the answers to these questions vary from person to person, and situation to situation. In my clinics I can offer my clients personalised exercise programmes according to their cancer, their physiological state, and their ability. 
Here I hope to provide a 'go-to' site for safe, evidence-based information to help people exercise through cancer. More and more scientific studies support the benefits of safe exercise during cancer treatments, including:
                decreasing fatigue
                decreasing anxiety and depression
                improving quality of life
                improving function
                decreasing pain
                improving body composition
                improving strength and fitness

I also provide weekly group exercise classes in my local area, specifically for people undergoing or recently completed cancer treatments. In a short time, these classes have doubled and I now have a waiting list. 
I will be bringing my knowledge from these classes to you, and what my clients have to say about their journey of exercise through cancer. 
--
 A few testimonials from my current clients:
‘My time might be limited but the time I put into exercising gives me more energy to enjoy the remaining time with my family and friends’

‘The class is proving to be a huge boost to my recovery’

‘The programme improved my life enormously’




No comments:

Post a Comment

Keeping Bones Strong when on Prostate Cancer Hormone Therapy

Men with prostate caner often receive hormone therapies to reduce their testosterone levels, which in turn decreases the rate of prostate c...